View Single Post
Old 4 Jul 2003, 02:27 (Ref:651594)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, thanks RacingManiac.

JAG, I'm not arguing with Porsche or Alex Job Racing for using it. I'm arguing with the ACO for allowing them to! It's a philosophical argument I have with them, not a technical one.

Et tu, pirenzo?

Alright, the theory is that before you downshift, which of course provides engine braking on the drive wheels, and sets you up to get on the throttle exiting the corner, you want to match engine revs to approximately the speed it'll be turning once you downshift. So, entering the brakine zone, you place part of your foot (either the heel, or if you've got big feet like me, the left side of the ball of your foot) on the brake pedal and press down, threshold braking as best you know how (holding the pedal right on the threshold of lockup). At the very same instant, you pop out the clutch with your left foot, and in the same motion as you press the brake pedal, with either your toes, or the right side of your foot, you momentarily press down on the throttle, blipping the revs upwards. As soon as the revs are going up, you have to lift off the clutch. If you've down it right, the grabbing of the clutch will barely produce any shudder from the car. If you don't match revs before you downshift, the car will jerk, and the drive wheels will hop violently as you engage the clutch, likely damaging the drivetrain and causing you to lose control.

It's pretty much an essential skill for getting the most out of a car. If you watch a NASCAR road race, you can see the guys at the front, heel-toeing, while the guys at the back pop out the clutch entering a corner, roll in on the brakes without downshifting, then select a gear as they start leaving the corner. Costs a lot of time.

It takes about 10 minutes to learn, and a lifetime to master.