View Single Post
Old 22 May 2018, 15:06 (Ref:3823970)   #1774
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
just a couple of questions/thoughts in no particular order...

- track redesign is an expensive prospect particularly by venues which already struggle to host...can they really be expected to pay for track changes? i feel like thats a unreasonable request.

- lots of talk about reducing aero but again asking the teams to give up on decades of research and investments in facilities (in the billions i would guess by this point) is an incredibly expensive proposition and one i would think is just as unlikely as getting venues to redesign just for F1.

- more of a layman thought, but if increasing down force is required to overcome the wake/turbulence issue then why not more mechanical grip? surely the safety issues surrounding active suspension for example have been mitigated over time.

i would add to that why not more movable aero? the cheapest solution i would think is allowing DRS to be a active the entire lap/race. benefits would be two fold. easier to overtake and more drivers would make mistakes.

- that itself may be a moot point as the cars converge towards a specific formula. an issue compounded with increasing cooperation/partnerships between the teams.

rather, wont two cars of similar design experience the same difficulties when trying to pass each other (irrespective of track design and rules)...similar straight line speed/similar corning abilities. i feel as though much of overtaking comes down to either one car having a massive advantage or one driver making an error. the advantage could be legislated against but then you just get more similarity in the cars.

as for drivers making errors...forgive this question but isnt there greater diversity/range in car and driver talent in Indy vs F1. rather the 20 drivers in F1 are (for the most part) more similar in abilities then 30 odd drivers in Indy?

please dont take that as a disparaging remark, just more a point about how homogeneous F1 is. in a way the spec Indy car series offers more variety and hence you see more overtaking?

- Merc's issues with driving through the field...kind of an F1 front runner issue. this is a car designed to lead. its not really surprising that they dont deal well when following. im not sure this is proof positive about the wake problems as much as it is about Merc's design philosophy.

not nearly as knowledgeable as i would like to be on the technical side of things so apologies in advance if these questions are missing the mark of this conversation.