View Single Post
Old 10 Oct 2010, 04:37 (Ref:2772314)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Who amongst us would not, given suitable money and time resources, want to buy an old Alvis Stalwart, Amphicar or DUKW and sail/drive around the exact equator line?

I suspect the actual best vehicle would be some dull but worthy SUV with a large diesel tank.

I believe that since tv shows like "The Long Way Round" there has been an improvement in roads around the east of Russia/Siberia/Mongolia so you could make good time across there.

[Apologies for restarting an old thread]
Round the world travel, adventure driving and motorcycling has become a strong interest of mine in recent times especially since my interest in contemporary motorsport is fading due to the spec car and manufactured driver fad.

Mongolian roads haven't changed one bit. Siberia has seen improvements. The one missing section of highway was recently opened by putin and you can now drive from London to Vladivostok all the way across Russia.

The "Road of Bones" is rapidly disappearing. The russians have built a newer road around much of it and the old summer road is what you saw a lot of in "Long Way Round". That old summer road receives no maintenance and is declining every year and eventually will be impassable.

I've been doing lots of research this year for my own RTW trip and have decided to do it by any means. In looking at the costs, the big one was actually shipping costs of a motorcycle across different spots of water, a car being even worse and more complicated. I propose to travel mostly by disposable vehicle that can be sold on in Vladivostok or ferried from there to Korea or Japan and dumped there.

Right now I am thinking about 2012-2014 and pretty much have a good idea of a route.

Things like traveling exactly around the world at the equator or breaking records don't really interest me, nor does what method of transport used, except when over land the idea is to travel somehow over land. I liked Charley Boorman's concept of "By Any Means" and I think traveling that way you are lighter and freer than say driving the same exact Land Rover around the world.

Here is one guy that takes stunning photos and in the last 2 years had ridden at least 50000 miles around Russia, Mongolia and other former soviet republics:

http://www.sibirskyextreme.com/