View Single Post
Old 7 Aug 2015, 22:36 (Ref:3564496)   #23
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So, I am presuming you ran the ACU!!

My interest here is purely as a fan, nothing more. I have been involved in that way since the late 80's when I was able to drive about for myself, and did what most people do initially, follow racing on telly and local events.

I have raced but only at an amateur level in autograss. Never joined a club for the reasons stated above and tried marshalling once, only to be horrified at the shouty little cretins who ran it all, was like being in the damned Army cadets, never again!

The forum needs involvement, not people who do not post or are maybe too afraid or timid to post. It's a good place to discuss things like this, and people in the know can put people right, offer opinion and bring up new areas to discuss.

Regarding my involvement, it is nothing, just a fan who is sick and tired of being ripped off with some events. Who has managed to find other things that offer far more for race fans away from the MSA, club racing, historic racing.

One who believes passionately that the motorsport public are being taken for a ride at times, and drivers are even more so. They are being asked to foot the bill for poorly run circuits, an MSA that cares more for its bank balance than it does about getting people involved. And a country that rests on its laurels because it has a massive motorsport industry and practically runs F1.

And one who also believes passionately that nowhere near enough is being done to get people involved at a cheap, basic level. Forget clubs and marshalling, what we need is low price events, that offer people more than track days do. It's simple really, if you manage to do that, the drip will start to feed into all areas of motorsport.

Bella has it spot on, if you make events like this one in Holland it can only work wonders for involvement.

Let me give you an example, I remember years ago going to Bernie's airfield in Kent to watch an airshow. I watched for a few hours and then walked to the merchandise stands, except the whole front row was taken up with forces recruitment. Perfect place eh, look at the great planes, here take a leaflet about the Army, Navy kids, young adults. come and sit in a cockpit, shoot a rifle.

You need to give people the chance to drive something, feel something, get close to the action, not give them a few stickers and a Lewis Hamilton mousemat.