View Single Post
Old 25 Mar 2020, 14:25 (Ref:3966770)   #48
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am baffled by the talk of "production based" engines in F1. In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with bespoke racing engines. What makes engines expensive is the rules and level of freedom given to whoever makes the engine. Not that it is "bespoke". Someone tossed the idea of Judd engines. Those are bespoke and I assume relatively affordable all things considered.

Note, I am using a definition of bespoke to mean that these are purpose built "race" engines that are built to a published formula. Not engines built for a single team. Given that multiple teams use the same engines today in F1, there are no single customer solutions in F1 anyhow.

What should be considered (if large manufactures are looking to leave or slim down their involvement) is to create more simple engines. If F1 can't revert to simple ICE solutions (due to lack of support), then it may be that something like FE becomes the new F1. Mostly spec parts (lower cost) and looking to the future (all electric).

Richard