View Single Post
Old 31 Jan 2019, 14:50 (Ref:3880900)   #30
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
period tyres for period cars, I don't think anyone has a problem with that . . . . its speed differential that causes accidents with people not paying enough attention. Where that line ios drawn will vary wildly from car to car, person to person and series to series.
Exactly, but more than just speed differential- speed differential in braking and cornering. On a straight it really isn’t a problem. Take the example of a 1965 SWB 911 on Dunlop L tyres versus a mid 70s 911RSR on slicks. The cornering attitude will be completely different, let alone the speed. Likewise the two cars will be braking in a different way and distance. I think you’ll find that previous experience has taught the organisers that slicks (or AO48s) and early Dunlop Crossplies are not a good mix. The Spa 1hr race (that used to be called ‘Barry’s Race’) had / has a big mix of car ages, but still doesn’t allow slicks.

I totally get the point about using similar tyres to a car’s period fitment, but when said cars are racing against other cars of a similar period only.