View Single Post
Old 22 Nov 2020, 11:37 (Ref:4018250)   #2176
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I'm calling BS on a lot of that "Muso"'s post, too.

Just some points:

- "you need full travel insurance" - anyone with half a brain would have this anyway - an EHIC card does give you basic protection but when I broke my leg in Tenerife, it was my travel insurance that got me home.....

- Each state has their own taxation policy! - and then goes on to say UK already had this, who knew? Nothi ng like contradicting your own argument.

- Mobile phone roaming -as already said - all major UK networks have said no change, and as for having to have a local address to get a local Sim card - I haven't tried it in France but I can't remember providing one to get one in Tenerife, and if I did provide an address it certainly wasn't checked....

- Blue passports incompatible? Really? They continue to be produced to the International Civil Aviation Organisation standards for machine readable passports (and are of course produced in the EU, in Poland, so this "fun fact" bites the dust.

- You need a carnet for every instrument at £350 or so each.....Livemusicbusiness.com says "The price of the carnet depends on the value of the equipment that is being imported and exported and the destination countries. A carnet for a 4-piece UK -based rock band touring Europe and Scandinavia, including Switzerland and Norway, would be about £350.00. This assumes the total value of their musical equipment is £20,000."
I remember using Carnets when we rallied abroad in the 80s and it was no big issue.....

Why do people publish this nonsense?
A decent 4 piece band carries more than £20k in gear 2 bass guitars and my amps is£5-7 k depending on which guitars I use/take. We were due to be playing a festival this June in France, not a lucrative gig but a fun paid weekend away . . . . . Spending an extra £3-500 for the pleasure puts us in the red.. the inability to travel and work unrestricted is utterly preposterous and a half century regression.