View Single Post
Old 1 Jun 2016, 11:49 (Ref:3646298)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Can you tell us/me who or why these four particular races have been designated as the 'Big Four'? I cannot recall ever hearing of the 'Quad' before, and wonder just when this was regarded as important. None of the circuits mentioned have held a Grand Prix every year since 1950, although Monza has only missed out once, in 1980 when the Italian GP was run at Imola.
It seems a somewhat illogical choice of circuits to give importance to.

Puzzled of Luton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
And to add to your puzzlement, Bob, it is pointless trying to compare what Fangio achieved at these circuits as opposed to any over the others, let alone Hamilton. Apart from Monaco and possibly Spa, the other two tracks bear little resemblance to the circuits of 40 or 50 years ago; I doubt that Fangio, or a number of others from the list would even recognise the tracks as they are now. Even Monaco has changed considerably, with even the tunnel being rebuilt in 1973.
Agree with both of you!!

What a load of nonsense.

I always thought there was only the big 3 races that mattered around the world: Monaco. Indy and Le Mans (plus maybe Nurby 14 miler and Spa?)

Some of the F1 races these days are about as significant as Nigel Farage.