Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 2 Feb 2019, 23:05 (Ref:3881487)   #3382
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I wonder how political it will all get? It is obvious that Ferrari have taken certain measures to strengthen their bargaining position by strengthening their ties with Sauber when they embedded an engineer and seconded KR to the the Team. Haas are also very strongly allied to the Ferrari cause but that goes back to the hard headed business contra deal that got them into F1 in the first place and was never going to be anything different. Am I the only one who questions why KR went to Sauber instead of LeClerc doing another year there? I think it is all tied up with exerting enough influence to ensure Ferrari get their own way.
Post #872 of the Driver 2018 Silly Season Thread

Originally Posted by Mike Harte
wnut, your theory is great, but it has no real bearing on how F1 actually works.

Firstly, the most important "voting" takes place in whatever the group is now called, and only six teams have a vote, whilst the FIA and FOM have 6 votes apiece, meaning that the FIA and FOM can outvote the teams if they want to stop ideas being forwarded to the next stage.

At that 2nd stage, a vote includes all the teams and requires unanimity amongst the teams if a proposal is to be introduced within a certain period. If the proposal is to be introduced outside of that restricted time sphere, then, if I am correct, there is no requirement for a vote and the FIA/FOM can impose it on the teams.

In the case of changes mandated for safety reasons, the FIA/FOM can again impose the change within the time constraint.

However, having said all that, there is probably no doubt that certain teams do align themselves concerning future regulations at the early stages of prospective changes.

All true.

Liberty has however made noises about increased representations from the teams, and then there is the process kicked off by Sauber and FI in the EU mentioned by Chillibowl.

I think that the powers that be, Merc and Ferrari, are stacking the decks to make sure that any democracy that breaks out goes in their favour.

Hopefully Liberty and the FIA will stick together and ignore the lot of them.

When did a manufacturer ever do anything to a Motorsport category other than wreck it, then walk away?