Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 4 Feb 2019, 23:33 (Ref:3881978)   #3389
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
alternatively, if one looks at what has happened over the years (specifically with issues surrounding the current engine regs) its collusion between Merc and Renault for example, which is of much bigger concern than collusion between Ferrari and Haas could ever hope to be.

at the end of the day, two engine manus working together have more control (and perhaps rightly so) then one engine manu and their 'slave' team.
I know how the current formula came about has been talked to death. The entire "global racing engine", 4 vs 6 cylinder, turbo vs NA, etc.

I can't see it being something like Mercedes and Renault worked together to what... hoodwink Ferrari? I don't see it. It is nearly impossible for each to come up with completely different proposals. There was going to be some level of agreement and no doubt alliances when negotiating specific parts of the spec.

I just don't see any "collusion". Lets say there was commonality in what each manufacture wanted. Clearly they would have only advocated for things they felt they would excel at, plus try to mitigate things they might feel are weaknesses. If there was true collusion between a Mercedes and Renault, then they would have negotiated for X, Y and Z and then actively collaborated (traded data) on X, Y and Z. In reality they all walked away with a specification and built their respective solutions in secret with the goal to crushing each other. Clearly there can only be one winner and as we all know... Mercedes got it right in a big way.

Overall, I don't see how the prior engine regulation negotiations are any type of indicator as to the issue with respect to voting blocks created by "technology partners" (which is a nice euphemism for the second tier slave teams).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
These votes should be by secret ballot to ensure dissenting teams do not face manufacturers' wrath.
My first thought was the same, but given the small number of voters, it's likely nearly impossible to hide your position. Small teams probably would still find it risky to vote independently and contrary to the directives provided to them by the manufactures. You don't want to vote in opposition, have your effort fail and potentially expose your treachery at worst, or raise suspicion at best. Vote counts could be telling. Maybe if they could hide the actual vote results and put it down as pass/fail. But that would create it's level of suspicion and lack of trust in any voting process.

Richard