View Single Post
Old 16 Nov 2019, 12:54 (Ref:3940923)   #13
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I went to this in 2017 and it was a lot of fun. Very friendly, very open, very relaxed.

Sadly they don't open the huge grandstands so the only view is from the infield. That's fine as it goes, but it's the view from the big stands which makes Daytona special.

The other challenge was keeping up with the classes, especially since other HSR classes run their own races as well, often overlapping quite a lot with the 24H Classic groups.

The overnight, multi-race format did have quite a high attrition rate so by Sunday some of the fields were very thin.

The big plus for me is more modern cars than are often seen in European meetings, which for me means 80s to the present day. There were some cars only a few years old racing 00s and 90s prototypes.

Plus, of course, some incredible and wonderful American brutes like 8.8 litre 1980s Corvettes with wheel arches you could camp under.

The Sebring equivalent is definitely on my bucket list but unless the big grandstands are opened I won't be going back to Daytona for the Classic.