View Single Post
Old 12 Nov 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3780078)   #676
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Losing GTE Am isn't much of a problem, it doesn't really offer anything other classes don't and tends to be the main source of destroyed LMP1 cars. Putting pressure on GTE Pro doesn't bother me that much either, I'm not hugely fond of all the manufacturers shacking up in the slow class without any encouragement to move up. The issue then becomes the way GTE is artificially held at 3:50 though.

The question is actually whether LMP2 or GTE Am is cheaper though, because you'd need considerably more LMP2 cars than are actually running anywhere to push GTE Am out entirely. 2017 was 24 LMP2, 15 GTE Am, 12 GTE Pro, and 6 LMP1 with I think an LMP2 reserve. Although the last few teams were different, the rest of the year there was around 25 or 26 current gen LMP2 cars running across WEC, ELMS, and IMSA so there was maybe 30 of the things out there? Next year there's a few more IMSA cars (probably none of which will go to Le Mans again) but 3-5 of those LMP2 entries are going to LMP1. So adding 10-20 more LMP2 cars seems like a big stretch unless it's really cost effective.