View Single Post
Old 12 Oct 2005, 09:33 (Ref:1431627)   #2
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
It will be 50 years since Sir Jack won his Australian and first Grand Prix, on the Port Wakefield Race Track in October 1955.

Sir Jack (3 times World Champion) and Lady Margaret Brabham will be in attendance.

Many other drivers from the 1955 race will also be there Classic and Vintage cars / motor bikes on display.

Food and drink stalls
Kids activities
Trading and produce tables
Local history bus tours
Helicopter rides
Rock wall climbing
An original 1955 MG K3 driven by Bob Burnett-Read
Port Wakefield Grand Prix souvenirs
Community carnival atmosphere.

Saturday 12 Nov 05 commencing 10 AM
Further details - phone Wendy 88671115 or Scott 88671108

The main event will be held at the Port Wakefield oval, where Sir Jack will be unveiling a commemorative plaque. Some other drivers from the era (I do not currently know if this means or includes the '55 race) will be present, as will at least one car from the race.

Public access to the remains of the track will not be available due to public liability issues (damn insurance companies!) but there will be bus tours to parts of the track, although it will not be possible to leave the bus during the tour.

There is more publicity to come. Channel 9 South Australia will feature the event on their program 'Postcards' on, I believe, Saturday 22 October. And there will be mentions of the event in The Advertiser <http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/> and the Sunday Mail (click through from the Tiser).

For those with access to hard copies of The Advertiser, my suggestion would be to look in the motoring sections on Saturday 5 and 12 November and Thursday 3 and 10 November.

I also believe that various cars clubs are setting up displays but I guess that will become clearer nearer the day.