View Single Post
Old 22 Jun 2006, 21:54 (Ref:1639418)   #34
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian beckett
The Cheylesmore(a Coventry BMW dealer?) car was a works test machine loaned by the factory to get a presence in the UK and was run by Bob Sparshott Automotive(BSA) on behalf of Cheylesmore.It was probably replaced by a brand new version later in the season?Perhaps this followed Stucks comments about it being banana shaped? I only have the following results for the car/team...Silverstone GP support race-Stuck 5th; Donington-Stuck 2nd;Brands-Stuck 3rd;Silverstone-Palmer 5th and Silverstone ETC,Danner/Hobbs retired with blown engine. I have no knowledge of a New Zealander racing the car and the only driver who fits the bill as you describe is Brett Riley?? At the end of the '83 season,Stuck/Palmer/Soper ?neve were considered for the drive but it eventually went to David Kennedy for '84,again run by BSA and as mentioned earlier sponsored by Grundig International and Penthouse(not that I remember much bare flesh as I followed the team hopefully around the country!!).
Yes Cheylesmore Garages were based in Coventry and BSA ran the show. We had Dave (Beaky) Simms, Ex Lotus and Hesketh, based in our Showroom!
No...Brett Riley did not drive the car.but he did win an F3 race with a Dolomite engine which is moe than can be said for his team mate whose name escapes me.........