Thread: Oulton
View Single Post
Old 26 Jun 2019, 11:59 (Ref:3914257)   #38
Motormouth94
Rookie

Motormouth94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really understand why the success ballast was decreased - it was increased to 75kg in the first place in order to avoid repetitive R1/R2 results, which we now seem to be getting fairly regularly again....

In my opinion, if we went back to 75kg race winning ballast, there is actually no need for a reverse grid race. When the reverse grid was first introduced in the mid noughties, the drivers finishing at the back of the top 10 were (with respect) not usually anywhere near the pace of the top 5 or 6 drivers in the championship Therefore, excitement was guaranteed as those slower drivers fought tooth and nail to drag a result out of race 3, and the faster drivers found themselves racing people they didn't often come across. Nowadays, even drivers finishing somewhere like 15th position are more than capable of holding on at the front with no weight, especially if they are on the preferred tyre. By getting rid of the reverse grid, you guarantee that for races 2 and 3, the cars at the front will be slower (or at least in theory) than the cars behind them, thus guaranteeing overtaking/more exciting racing.

As for Oulton this weekend, I think only AMD and BTC are likely to be able to challenge the rear wheel drive cars, and BMW are likely to win at least 2, maybe all 3 races - first ever win for Oliphant perhaps....?