View Single Post
Old 16 Mar 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1253548)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacarella
I have always thought that the holmogation requirements were a little, shall I say "funny" for instance - The Chevy Vette has no homologation issues dispite the fact that the Pratt and Miller C6R bares no resemblance at all to its road going counterpart. The Saleen S7R on the other hand is very much like the car that you and I can buy from the manufacturer. Because of its construction constraints and exotic pricetag, the S7R is made is far less quantities and costs much more than its Vette street counterpart. It seems that this was a major obsticle in the Saleen being homologated.

A WRC car has no resemblence whatsoever to its road going counterpart, yet 25,000 road cars are required.

Maybe the best GT regs are the JGTC GT500 ones. So much freedom is allowed, compared to the basic road car, that even a ten plus year old design like the Honda NSX can be competitive. The only problem then is development costs.