Thread: IMSA 2021
View Single Post
Old 26 Sep 2020, 00:45 (Ref:4006286)   #35
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is replacing the Beetle Cup. Unlike most countries that run a non-Carerra branded series the US series uses the current cars. It's mostly a name change to bring the series in line with the rest of the world.
From what I've read the Platinum cars in IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge are the Carrera Cup cars, but are any 991 He 2 car 2017-2019. IMSA also uses older cars for the Gold class, 991 Gen 1 from 2014-2016. I do remember distinctly different cars and shift points, one shifted just after 3 the older cars past the campsite. May have been the previous car in Gold. They also run Yokohama in GT3 Cup Challenge US and Canada.

From what I gathered the 911 GT3 Cup "ladder" is

Porsche SuperCup
Porsche Carrera Cup
Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge

911 GT3 Cup 3.99L 485 hp
Appears to be used in SuperCup and Carrera Cup, and as Platinum in the US series

The next gen car will be used in SuperCup and Carrera Cup in 2021 and will include US series. The US series and SuperCup will use Michelin tires, but it appears the SuperCup use N2 compound while the IMSA guys will use N3. Not sure the relationship but would guess N2 is better?

Some GT3 Cup Challenge series only use a generation older cars to save costs.

And for more information than I ever thought I'd know about racing beetles.

"*Prospective Porsche Carrera Cup North America customers received a preview of the next-generation 992-based Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car during an event hosted by Porsche Motorsport North America on Thursday evening." S365

Last edited by broadrun96; 26 Sep 2020 at 01:01.