View Single Post
Old 1 Nov 2014, 00:03 (Ref:3470374)   #34
mab01UK
Veteran

mab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Now there's a name from my Mini Se7en racing past, Chris Tyrrell! (Sadly, I was down the other end of the grid from him!).
His Mini was never really that tidy, but it was damned quick (not just the car, he could obviously peddle). I even bought one of his highly rated cylinder heads for my car, the workmanship in that was excellent.
I was also sadly sitting in the Silverstone Woodcote grandstands when he had that career ending accident at the British GP Meeting in his Metro.
This was his Metro after the Silverstone crash, my late brother Steve was one of the first on the scene and thought Chris was a gonna.....had hit his head hard on the steering wheel and later ended up with a metal plate in his forehead I think.
I can't remember if Chris ever raced again, I know he wanted to get back racing in his Mini 7 and he was trying to work out how he could get his doctor to sign him up again for his racing licence, as he had some double vision as a result of the accident. Chris eventually retired to Spain but a few years later he fell ill and Steve and some other drivers paid and organised to get him brought back to the UK for hospital treatment. He died around 2001 or 2002 if memory serves me right?

Last edited by mab01UK; 1 Nov 2014 at 00:08.