View Single Post
Old 18 Mar 2018, 10:25 (Ref:3808829)   #34
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Just a quick one from me, here's my vid from the days action at Silverstone if anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWc...ature=youtu.be
Said it on Facebook already, but fair play to you for filming the entire day. I managed to use the camera for a few minutes and that was it!

Reading through the previous posts on here I think a lot of my thoughts on Silverstone will echo the comments made by others. But here goes:

I actually thought the viewing for spectators was better than expected. I initially feared that the grandstand area was the only place to view, but the top part of the track was all accessible...

...lot of high fences though, so very limited options for spectators taking pictures (unless you were packing big lenses!). Not the worst UK rallycross circuit for spectator viewing that I have been to, it struck me a bit of a mix of Blyton and Croft in many respects (better than the former for spectators but not the latter).

The grandstand and top of the Stowe building gave a good overview for seeing the entire track and the standing areas were never more than two people deep yesterday, so finding a spot you wanted wasn't hard. If they hit the 30,000 spectator target they talked about for Speedmachine though, that would obviously be a different situation. (Be interesting to know what sort of numbers they had yesterday, purely to gauge how many spectators were round the track)

If it was me I would modify the crowd line before the jump to allow people there to clearly see turn one and two. Just a minor change, but it would further improve that spot, which was my favourite of the day.

It's a very twisty circuit. Seemed quite compact and slow, even when it dried out. I didn't think the Supercars really got a chance to stretch their legs. The track obviously had to drop into that area, but it seemed like there was unused space at the bottom end of the circuit (after the jump).

Facilities were OK: at least they had the sense to open the Stowe building up as the cafe/toilets in the main building looked overwhelmed at times (though the weather was likely a factor there). Don't know if future events there will have the same accessibility (I suspect the Stowe building will be more restricted during the World Championship). There were also a lot of gaps in the fencing towards the bottom of the track which I suspect will be closed up in the future.

Staff were helpful but, as the first event of it's kind there, it was obviously a massive learning curve for them. As others have said, they didn't seem to know where things were or where people could or couldn't go.

Last edited by tbtstt; 18 Mar 2018 at 10:30.