View Single Post
Old 6 Aug 2015, 12:23 (Ref:3564141)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clubs might not be businesss, but tracks are.

They are mostly quite happy to take hundreds of pounds from punters doing track days, and make a profit tidily. Palmer bankrolls his stuff with BSB, had a nice idea with Speedfest than ramped the price up to make money after speculating, that will no doubt dwindle in time as a result.

There is little or no entrepreneurship in UK tracks, it is all based around one or two big cash days and continuous track days. And there is a need and market for both so why not.

What is missing is seeking out the new fan, the family. What we have is exploiting that market to the n'th degree with overpriced rubbish like the Silverstone Classic, Goodwood, British GP. Do you get airshow crowds at racing events like you used to? for family prices? Not at all. Thats because an airshow isnt 50 or 60 quid EACH to get in, likie these events are, and more.

THAT is what is needed, an event like an airshow, someone cover the massive insurance costs to allow people to try out things, get somme decent simulators down, get some big stars there for free, (yes I said free not pay them a pathetic fee), attract all disciplines. Goodwood have the right idea, but not enough actual show, its all daft old bugger wobbling up someones drive most of the time.

It is being attempted at a low scale by some folk in Coventry, they are trying to do this with the Motorfest idea. And that is to be applauded and needs to be supported.

But our dear old, MSA do nothing, have done nothing, and will continue to do nothing. They are utterly hopeless, totally out of touch with the modern world, its people and its fans.

So, in my eyes let them rot, I have said it before and I will say it again, if you continue to pay extortionate entry fees as drivers and as racefans you cannot complain, you are not helping.

Simply go and watch club events or other type of racing, explore the world outside dullard race tracks, go and watch a bike enduro, a motocross, some speedway, an autograss, a short oval race, or go abroad which a lot of people are now doing for exactly these reason.

They might learn then, but I doubt it.