Thread: How to fix F1?
View Single Post
Old 9 Jun 2019, 04:33 (Ref:3908707)   #1157
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimiu012uk View Post
Rumer's are that the option of performance based options such as are used in moto gp along with cost cap are on the table for 2020.

By performance options I mean that if you do not score points based on podium positions you as a team are allowed to do certain things for example more testing or allowed more engines etc.
My first thoughts are another gimmick such as success ballast is seen to be. Another way forward might be to open the regs and allow even more tech but frame things in such a way that active management of the car and data is severely limited. Get rid of all the engineering resources at the track, take away the fancy steering wheels but let them go mad on suspension, engine management etc. That way some guessing will have to return and some mistakes might be made which removes the predictable outcomes. The data from the car would be limited to a number of channels that could only be reviewed locally with limited resources and what they can't monitor they have to use their brains and think about what might fix the issue like the ordinary racing pleb does now.

The counter to all that is can manufacturers who spend serious money be expected to play the game with restrictive rules? I suppose that if they enter knowing the rules then it can be assumed that they are willing to play the game. What has happened over the preceding two decades is those big spending race teams have massaged changes and they do not want the status quo disturbed and I find that part particularly distasteful. BE had to compromise back when there looked to be a breakaway forming and we are now looking at the results of that. The teams have grown used to being largely in control and they are fighting tooth and nail to remain in control.