View Single Post
Old 4 Jan 2023, 12:47 (Ref:4138898)   #12
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Thanks for this, crmalcolm, it's pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.

Just a question, what is 'Matra/Ligier'? Is this the Matra that Jackie Stewart drove for in 1968-69 and Ken Tyrrell managed initially, and that Chris Amon was last to race for in 1972, because I never knew they turned into Ligier who wouldn't appear until 1976, four years later? Also, when Tyrrell did form their own team in 1970, they raced a March, so have you given this race win to Tyrrell or to March (I would have chosen Tyrrell).

In terms of which version should be used, I would certainly go with the one linking Tyrrell to Mercedes, Toleman to Alpine etc. Definitely not names, Enstone Lotus was not Colin Chapman Lotus. I don't feel like Mercedes is the same as Tyrrell, but I suppose Ferrari still exists long after the death of Enzo Ferrari, Williams is still going without Frank Williams, Brabham continued without Jack Brabham and Lotus continued without Colin Chapman. So just because Ken Tyrrell is no longer involved doesn't make it not the same team.

But maybe it is different with manufacturers because Mercedes, Renault and Alfa Romeo are still the same company despite running teams at different times in the sports history. It is certainly not a straightforward question.
Firstly - I agree there is a lot of complexity and people will always have different opinions on the heritage of certain teams / names.

To answer the Matra and Tyrrell questions.

There is a slight flaw in trying to answer the question - I have opted to list all of the results under the constructor. I guess the title of the thread would be more accurate as 'Most successful constructor in F1 history' - but then we are getting even more murky with constructors vs teams in the early years.

What is 'Matra/Ligier'?
The first wins I have down for Matra come from the 1968 season. According to my history the Matra F1 team's assets were acquired by Ligier in 1972 so I saw the Ligier entry as a continuation of the team (akin to Toleman-Benneton).
Of course, some will see this differently, which is why Matra and Ligier both have separate listings in the table too.

Have you given this [1970] race win to Tyrrell or to March (I would have chosen Tyrrell).
It is in the records against March (as the constructor) - but theoretically it could also be given to Tyrrell as well. I've added one to Tyrrell in my spreadsheet, so they now read as 149 wins.