View Single Post
Old 26 Mar 2016, 10:43 (Ref:3627445)   #42
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Remember: a lot more cars, a lot more people, a lot more complicated roads, a more complex driving test and the result is the same pass rate and less accidents. That's impressive! Tell me more about how bad today's drivers are whilst we have less accidents in more busy roads.
Three points. Firstly, there has always been a quota of driving test passes permitted in each month. You will find that, statistically, more tests are passed in the beginning of the month than in the later part.

Secondly, it will all depend on how figures are calculated to determine whether teenagers as a percentage have more or less accidents than decades ago. A direct comparison can only be satisfactory if statistics are being collected in exactly the same way now as then, and if those statistics are being used in an identical fashion. I have a sneaky feeling that may not prove to be the case.

Lastly, even though the test may be more complex nowadays, although I have no evidence of that fact as I took the test almost 53 years ago and am taking your words as the truth, cars are far easier to drive nowadays and their road holding vastly superior which gives younger drivers a huge advantage.