View Single Post
Old 12 Feb 2014, 21:32 (Ref:3367506)   #154
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
I am not pessimistic, just realistic.

Besides, with the emphasis in 2014 shifting more towards the development of an efficient engine + ERS package, I sincerely doubt that being secretive about the exterior design of the TS040 will have much impact. Do you honestly believe that Porsche and Audi are waiting to see Toyota's design to immediately try to copy it ? It's too late for that.

Furthermore, Porsche and Audi have been "showcasing" their initial interpretations of the new rules, but we have yet to have a full picture and understanding of what sits underneath the skin. You can be "secretive" even by showing a few things to the public. In any event, both Porsche and Audi have yet to show their final iterations of the new LMP1 contenders.

IMHO, Toyota have absolutely nothing to gain by being overly secretive, especially at such a late stage of the development.
Exactly, thats your opinion. Toyota have done their way. Why do you criticize them because they havent shown their car? No one is entitled to see it until the preseason's official test is underway. Audi and Porsche testing packages they wont use is their way. Teams can copy others, theres no rule saying they cant. If its a better interpretation of the rule, they surely would want to copy it. Youre assuming thats what Im saying Toyota has. No one knows who is better, but being secretive has reason behind it.

Anyway, as far as development goes, the TS040 has been in development since 2012, and full time since after LeMans last year. Toyota doesn't need huge testing programs to verify parts or components are in order. I think theres a misconception that since they were last in on track testing that they are behind in the development curve. They denied this with their press release. And if you know how F1 teams work, its not the first on track to win races. As far as the cars look, they call it a "major evolution". I don't think it will be very close to the TS030.