View Single Post
Old 2 Aug 2003, 22:49 (Ref:678181)   #11
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a bloody fantastic day at Combe. Admittedly 8 of the 10 grids were choc a bloc full, with the Formula Fords, sorry, FF1600 if we are to be politically correct,boasting 35 runners in practice, but it just goes to show what can be achieved in what is basically a bottom of the rung club meeting. I heard a few newcomers to the circuit saying what a great day out they had. So, do we deduce from this that Combe is the best Club circuit in the UK or do we think that clubs like the HSCC who bring loads of entries with them, provide the entertainment.
I think it is a bit of both. You cannot be other than impressed with the laid back atmosphere at Combe but they certainly have their finger on the button in getting races run to a very strict schedule, whilst the organising club provided a fantastic mix of good, honest club racing. If every meeting across the calendar provided as much entertainment, we wouldnt be on here so much moaning about the lack of excitement/numbers of cars/ wish I had stayed at home syndrome as we have now.
Simple answers - Cut the number of Chamionships drastically, not just by a few but by a lot.
Give them more track time. Does not have to be a double header but time on track for those who are shelling out the spondulicks is probably a very important element. A longer qualifying seesion during the morning is probably not that hard to fit in. We have to remember that these guys/gals are paying a lot of money themselves to even present themselves on the grid for our entertainment.
Stop the number of conflicting race meetings on the same dates/areas that appeal to the the same set of spectators. The last weekend in June when there were meetings at 11! circuits across the UK is a prime example.

Dilute the sport into even more series/championships/one makes/"happy if we get 6 cars on the grid"/"there has been a lot of interest" and the whole thing is heading for trouble. Lets hope the Chamionship Panel get it right and only sanction right and proper series.

Focus Cup anybody ??