View Single Post
Old 14 Jan 2021, 10:49 (Ref:4028940)   #169
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
i dont think its just that, i think its just confusing to the average person looking in at why the ACO would create a new class, that is the same speed as an LMP2, costs more than an LMP2, and you then have to slow LMP2 down to keep LMH faster....

....surely the simpler answer would have been using the LMP2 rules for LMH, opening them up to manufactuers so they can have different chassis and engine types....

...i dont know, im sure theres a reason they didnt do that but it would have been the simple route to get the same lap time, surely?

The cynic in me says the ACO didnt do this because A) IMSA got their first with DPI B) Maybe its not what toyota/ Aston wanted....but it appears other manufacturers see the sense in it.
I think you’ve answered the question yourself, in that the LMP2+ formula already exists and you will be able to race with that at Le Mans from 2023 onwards.

I see the argument about why change in the first place, but it’s important to remember that speed = cost. The LMP1s of the mid-late 2010s were simply too fast and too complicated to be sustainable. Yes, the GR010 looks similar to an LMP1 (which may disappoint some), but the point is that much simpler cars will be able to compete with this thing.

Perhaps there’s no greater example of this than the fact we have someone posting on this very thread who’s building a car to beat it!