View Single Post
Old 26 Sep 2021, 08:26 (Ref:4075560)   #2739
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Funny old game, motorsport....

Came down to Anglesey on Friday to test the Alfa 75 before this weekend's races, as we'd don some brake work. It ran fine, brakes were good, and after a few laps I was setting what for us were OK times.

Yesterday morning car flatly refused to start - an initial cough and that was it. We had spark at the (cleaned) plugs, we had fuel pressure, but no amount of cranking or several attempts at towing it would get it to fire.....

Eventually having checked everything else, I suggested unplugging the Air Flow Meter. After a few splutters, the car started on cranking over, and sounded fine.....but huge clouds of white smoke were issuing from the tail pipe, and some billowing around from the engine bay (maybe an exhaust leak as I "might" have caught a kerb on Friday...) Reconnected the AFM plug and within a second or so it died.....

Nothing else we could do improved the situation, so that was our weekend's double header races, and £500+ entry fee, up in smoke - literally......

My pal with his ill-fated Alfa Junior Z finally got out on track in qualy, only for an oil seal to blow. Herculean efforts saw the gearbox removed and the seal sorted, and hopefully he'll get out in the second race today....

Hey ho. At least Andy Yeomans got his race yesterday and should be out on Sunny Trac Mon again today, and my mate with his Alfa 105 GTV won his class, and my other mate in his Sunbeam Imp finished well despite his 1 minute winners penalty, and had great fun fighting with the big boys in the bigger-engined class - it was a combined Swinging Sixties race.....

Lets see how today goes.....