Thread: IMSA IMSA : 2019
View Single Post
Old 5 Jul 2018, 18:32 (Ref:3834875)   #306
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Here is the latest on class separation, now the teams all want it:

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/t...-lmp2-classes/

the main change is JDC liking their odds of a DPi program.

This is fine, but I really don't see any additional entries coming from a split, especially in P2.
Lol … John Daguys … great guy, really hard worker … great story-teller.

Cindric says things are fine. Wayne Taylor wants the rules tilted his way. Church from JDC-Miller changed his mind when he got a line on a possible DPi deal—and might change it again if the deal falls through. Oergel at PR1 wants to go back to the old days.

The headline makes it sound like team owners nearly unanimously want the split … when in fact the team owners mentioned are all over the map, and how many more were not interviewed? (Or, if interviewed, didn’t support the narrative?)

The one thing I see here is the Atherton comment—the big deal would be IMSA telling FIA to pound sand.

It seems IMSA worked its butt off to try to get some agreement with FIA on class structure so Euro teams might want to play along … and now after one season they are ready to toss the idea?

As I understand it, FIA wanted P2 teams to be part of the top class at IMSA because IMSA is not a WEC-level series—it is subordinate, like ELMS and AsLMS.

But … the new WEC regs (2020) might completely undermine everything IMSA has built anyway, which I think is why IMSA is considering changing its class structure.

I am not saying Daguys is wrong … but he does need to write stories which get readers.

I kind of imagine what Oergel suggests—P2 becomes the new PC, and WEC can stay on its own (Pro-Am ELMS and AsLMS teams would still be eligible, but how many would come to run for fourth or sixth?)

Anyway …. Much ado, little fact. Interesting to watch unfold.

Personally, I’d love to see the Oergel/Taylor solution—Make P2 into a Pro-Am class, and let DPis run as fast as they can. I cannot imagine that a lot of P2 teams would object—it isn’t like they have any chance of winning overall anyway.

But … I could be wrong.