Old 16 Oct 2019, 03:24 (Ref:3934837)   #503
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
But you need more than two uprights and wishbones per entry... You need at least four per entry (one set of spares) and ideally probably a third set... So make that $150,000 per entry for three sets per entry.

But then 888 are inclined to go and change the design again, and leave you behind.

And 888 are doing such good business they have rather long lead times on these parts...

I'm sure Mr. Holloway is more than capable of designing his own. Kingpin, caster, pickup points et cetera --- how hard can it be!?

Like I said before, split A-arm designs with double ball joints like on road going Alfas, Volvos, BMWs and Audis are not even allowed. It's a simple design with two wishbones -- the very Project Blueprint double wishbone design derives from the Australian Ford Falcon carrying on the double wishbone front end from 1960's Ford USA products for crying out loud. It shouldn't be that complicated...
Designing suspension for a double wishbone car is VERY difficult, a couple of millimetres variation can make the difference between great and not so great. If it was so simple why isnt everyone doing it??? Maybe you should tender for the control upright... they use the Mustang II upright in a lot of speedway car in the USA maybe you could copy it....

Anyway, off my horse. Designing a good independant suspension (for a race car) is difficult and I have only seen a handful of people in Australia that really understand it. Anyone can design one, but whether it works or not is another matter altogether.

When I was in racing I saw a great many 'professionally designed' cars that had it wrong, some by a long way. On one car I moved 1 pickup point 3mm and turned the car from a dog to a multi championship winning car.