View Single Post
Old 29 Jul 2019, 17:06 (Ref:3920261)   #22
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
What is a Grand Prix? Is there a difference between a Grand Prix and a race?
The standard I personally use is for the "event" as defined by the FIA rules. Which roughly covers everything from FP1 all the way through the podium. That also broadly covers the span of which we fans will talk about when it comes to a "GP". When we are talking free practice, qualifying, and race it typically is within context of a given "GP".

It would be a pretty boring discussion if all we did was effectively look at something like "team points" as defined by the race on Sunday. My perspective is that teams have a bit of a pecking order as they come into the weekend. You will have teams like Mercedes at the top and Williams at the bottom. That is the starting point. I tend to look at the entire weekend. How did the team "as a whole" perform relative their capabilities.

So for me... Any team could end up effectively winning this unofficial pole as run here. And frequently for me, it is teams like Mercedes who are excellent and execute to the level we expect given their reputation. But it could be others if they stand out.

So lets say that Williams came in with a string a poor performances and then somehow managed to keep their nose clean all weekend (no unforced errors) and then also maybe clawed their way up the grid a bit over the entire weekend. Basically breaking out from their pattern of... sucking. Then I could see me giving "Team of the GP" even if they still finished down in the order.

I will typically deduct points (in my own head) for teams as they screw up over the weekend. Such as creating negative drama during free practice, qualifying badly, etc. And I tend to look again at the team and not just one driver who might do well. So I am expecting BOTH cars to perform to their capabilities or above. Singular performances helps when it comes to "Driver of the GP". Not that I require both to do well for the "Team" part, but it helps.

I also don't put much thought into any of this. It is mostly a semi-gut reaction based upon all of the above. I probably spend no more than 2-3 minutes thinking about this question if I even decide to submit a response to the poll. I spent more time typing this up than I have spent thinking about this topic in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
How can STR be Team of the GP if they only qualified 14th and 17th?
So lets look at STR. If you look at their qualifying positions over the past few races, they are +/- about where they have been. Sometimes they are better, sometimes not. But in a relatively chaotic race in which there were plenty of opportunities to get it wrong. And getting is wrong can be things like wrong strategy, driver error, etc. They seemed to not do that. And managed to get both cars significantly higher up in the finishing order than they qualified, both in the top ten and one on the podium.

I think you voted for Ferrari. Using my method... There is zero way to put them at the top. They had an absolutely disastrous qualifying. One of the drivers crashed out. And Vettel had a personally great Sunday, but him standing out doesn't somehow carry the entire "team" with him IMHO.

Does a team have to qualify 1/2 and finish 1/2 to win this award? Again... a very boring conversation if we limit it to those who already are excellent and perform to their already excellent level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
How on earth can we all have differing opinions based on differing viewpoints and biases? How dare we all be different!

Richard