Thread: PWC: 2020
View Single Post
Old 30 Oct 2019, 13:10 (Ref:3937633)   #218
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Is it a speed differential thing? They do seem to be a good bit apart at Road Atlanta at least and could see it being more of a problem then benefit to the racing.
Speed differential in itself is not a problem from what I understand, in fact it makes passing easier and the races safer. It becomes of course a problem when it becomes too big or - and I think that is the issue with combined GT3/GT4 fields - when the two classes make their lap times in drastically different ways, i.e. the GT3s are fast through the corners but relatively slow on the straights, whereas the GT4s are the other way around. What this leads to is a situation where the GT3s can't pass the GT4s easily on the straights and get held up when they run into them in the corners. This will, of course, compell GT3 drivers to attempt high risk passes in the corners so as to lose not too much time.

The smart thing for multiclass racing would be a combination of GT2 and GT4 cars (both with relatively low aero) - or if you want to include GT3s - the creation of a GT3U class that follows the same aero regs as GT3, but has to make do with less horsepower, e.g. by limiting engine displacement to 3.5l or something like that. Thus the traditional GT3 cars could easily and safely pass the GT3U-cars on the straights. I believe IMSA GTO/U back in the 80s and 2000s GT1/2 used to work like that.