Thread: Picture Puzzles
View Single Post
Old 31 Jul 2020, 10:02 (Ref:3991814)   #17
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
The Bobtail story seems reasonably well known, judging by the replies. The design is a variation on the aerodynamic theories of Dr. Kamm, who advocated a flat rear end as a better option than a more streamlined for the tail of a car. I do not profess to grasp the detail, but Cooper added the concave to the 'flat back' theory.

John Cooper, light heartedly I'm sure, explained it was because a longer design would not fit into the Cooper transporter.
The 'flat back' can be seen on various Aston Martins, and Ferrari models.
Cheers,

Bauble.

Now how about the third puzzle?
I think that Jaguar learnt an expensive aerodynamic lesson from the C Type , & were keen not to pass the information on , so claimed that they withdrew from Le Mans due to overheating .[ They did scrap all of the "Low Drag " bodies when they got back .]

So perhaps Cooper was doing a similar thing with their new shape & saying that it fitted better on the trailer , rather than giving information away to everyone else that it was a step forward in aerodynamic design