Thread: Customer Cars?
View Single Post
Old 9 Jan 2021, 00:25 (Ref:4027749)   #32
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
F1 is strangling because it has become an engineering w***k fest, nothing more and nothing less and if it continues and it will without intervention then the best engineering team wins every time, enter the whinging about Mercedes winning every year.
Just curious, when do you think that change occurred? When Red Bull dominated? When Ferrari dominated? McLaren? Lotus? Or when Mercedes lapped the field in the '50s? Back when drivers were unceremoniously replaced midrace to give the constructor a better fighting chance? That was a legendary w**kfest!

Also, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was telling you what to do. That was not my intention. I just wanted to point out that what you want so much already exists literally everywhere but in F1. So you win. It's me who's running out of traditional motor sports to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i would like to think that within a budget cap, the teams that do well are the teams that work the best, are the most efficient, create the best work environment etc...will have to wait and see on that though.
I can see how the teams that work the best, are the most efficient, create the best work environment, and invested lots of time and effort into assembling the right team of people to achieve success as a constructor don't feel like being beaten by a hypothetical billionaire and his son who bought last year's championship winning car.
They are opposed to customer cars because they feel their entire legacy is being put at risk. That's how I understand it.
This is also part of the reason why until now Williams were so stubborn about not using some of the "listed parts" that some other teams (case in point: Racing Point) gladly use. Once you go that route, you start losing the (current) expertise that one day could lead you to build a better mouse trap and get ahead of the leaders, instead of keeping up. Of course, Williams' example shows how risky and demanding that approach is compared to using proven solutions.