Thread: Old Motors
View Single Post
Old 26 Nov 2021, 10:55 (Ref:4085525)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the Red Bull / Honda situation demonstrated why there is little to be gained from using an old PU in testing off-chassis.

The running is restricted (IIRC) to 2x 4-day tests, and teams will want to maximise this with current / new PUs. The teams will want to know what the most current, upgraded spec of engine gives them in terms of performance. There is also probably little to gain from bench-testing an old PU:
Yusuke Hasegawa said that "Many items we could not test on the dyno, so it is normal that we need to check some functions in the car. The oil tank is one of the biggest items, so we have a rig for the oil tank but we cannot recreate the same types of G forces and conditions as in the car."