View Single Post
Old 8 Jun 2001, 17:12 (Ref:102629)   #7
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ALMS draws decent crowds(biggest in US sportscar racing in a long time) at most of their venues except the stupid rovals. The television ratings are excellent for sportscars and rival cart and irl events.

the only problem i see is the car count. without banning factory teams outright, there is little alms can do to get more privateers in, because they would rather race garra, which, if you think alms is in trouble, is in a disastorous state of affairs. panoz has tried increase purses, points, and now power allowed to privateer teams, but they'd rather "win" over in garra than compete in alms.

another problem is panoz is tryong to overextend himself.. alms and aplms should not exist, and instead of going head to head with fia gt, i think panoz should stick to the states, except for 1-2 races which would be part of alsm and not a sister championship, and let aco and fia hammer out some agreement. Personally i do not care to see a field full of gt cars but it has worked, and i agree that gt1 cars were out of control. but now with more focus on prototypes instead of gt1s, some common ground can be reached.

final analysis. ALMS was desparately needed for the US and is a success for bringin back US sportscar racing from the brink, but its place internationally has only clouded the waters.