View Single Post
Old 8 May 2017, 19:26 (Ref:3732311)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Any interruption to a race, especially if it reduces racing time is frustrating for driver who's put much effort into getting there. However, it is understandable as safety is a must.

I guess it wasn't clear it would take 15 minutes to sort and it should have been red flagged. That could potentially have stopped the race and moved it to the end of the day, if there was time left. Which would also have been frustrating.

Is that the issue here? The loss of the race/pointless driving round? Rather than code 60 per se? I guess it is.

The sarcy yellow comment isn't really necessary as it is a given that race control is trying its best for the drivers. Unfortunately experience shows that local yellows don't always have the desired effect.

I like the idea of a kind of local code 60 as suggested by Lancsbreaker. It works at Le Mans, but they have more tech in the cars to aid this. Us clubbies don't have all that (except the odd GPS!). Perhaps we could all invest in some official GPS/signalling/timing/messaging/recording equipment for the cockpit? Based on the transponder reaction, I suspect this wouldn't be popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
That has its own frustrations and is unfair, too, but is probably safest for the marshals. If I was a marshal I think I'd rather work in the long gap between the train coming round than the irregular gaps of drivers whose speed I can't be sure of.

Make gps speedo mandatory, with recording, and try again.
The choice of code 60 and SC (or red) is made based on the type of issue. Either can be used. Code 60 has the advantage for the drivers as it means less time is wasted getting everyone together and the generally longer SC periods. So, when appropriate they are good and tend to be fairer (although not completely fair) than alternatives.

I'm not against some mandatory equipment to help. Unless ridiculously expensive it may be comparable to the cost of the race time it gives back?