View Single Post
Old 11 Jun 2018, 10:58 (Ref:3828352)   #13
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I guess the UK equivalent is "Please drink responsibly" I was just making the point that individual ASNs seem to be able to make their own rules. Sponsorship on racing cars has a bit of a notorious history in the UK. The fact that Surtees was sponsored by Durex (a condom manufacturer) was cited as a reason not to broadcast motor racing on TV in the UK in the mid-seventies.
Restrictions on advertising are decided by each country (as with all "EU laws", the EU don't impose the laws it is each country that does so in the way they desire).

There was a time when some EU countries allowed fagvertising but others didn't hence different schemes at different European races. Of course those events were televised, so the relevant law would presumably have related to TV advertising.

Given that historic races aren't usually televised they wouldn't fall under the same laws but ASNs might decide to impose such rules across the board (which as with most FIA stuff would be of questionable legality but it's basically a private club so they can pretty much do whatever they want).

Alcohol adverts are presumably covered by similar regulations these days, with similar local variations, but the usual principle with old cars is that if they ran a livery in period it is acceptable to run it now - however Germany apparently insists on the fagfree version on F1 cars, so again it is a local issue...

I guess the answer to the original question is you need to check with the local ASN of each country you intend to race in... assuming it is an FIA event, otherwise ask the organisers.