Thread: IMSA: USCR 2018
View Single Post
Old 4 Jul 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3834558)   #1961
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
With the number of issues they have, wouldn't it be easier and probably just as good performance wise, to run a Ligier LMP2?
They could focus all their efforts on LMP3, as an alternative ... but it seems they think that having people like Ryan Dalziel and Pipo Derani on the payroll, they can compete for overall wins ... at say, Daytona or Sebring ....

I'd guess that if they can get it right, they'd rather be "right" on the top step of the podium than be fourth and the fastest P2 ... and if they cannot get it right, it doesn't matter if they are in a DPi or a P2.

They want to compete for top honors in the top class. The competition is tougher. Engineering matters more.

Of course, getting nailed on the first lap is a set-back no matter which class, engine, or chassis a team chooses.

But, yes, to address your initial query, it would be simpler and cheaper to run in the de facto second-class P-car division .... and even easier, no doubt, to run a GTD Ferrari, Porsche, or Audi. Success Might be easier to come by ....

Or maybe not. As I recall, ESM only won once in GTE (GTLM.) Maybe it's the team, not the car.

Whatever ... Ed Brown obviously wants to be competing for overall wins, not to maximize points. Achieving a goal he doesn't want to achieve isn't much of an achievement, while striving to achieve what he really wants probably feels like an ennobling task, if also a painful trial.

Logic plays a big part in set-up, strategy, logistics ... but the basic decision to go racing is pre-logical, I think.