View Single Post
Old 12 Jul 2003, 14:42 (Ref:659568)   #39
A. C. E. motors
Rookie

England
Leicestershire UK
A. C. E. motors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old crash helmets are not allowed to be used when racing, nor should cars with inadequate roll cages. (The definition of inadequate is not one I wish to discuss here.)
Old, sorry historic, cars don’t race with the same tyres they originally had, they have new ones, the original tyres would have perished long ago. The new tyres may look the same, but they are made with modern machinery, much more stable and consistent.
The same goes for helmets, they might look similar to helmets of 30 years ago, but they are a lot stronger and a lot lighter.
People can fit roll cages that look however they want them to look, as long as they are strong and safe for everyone concerned.
I saw the historic formula fords at Brands Hatch last weekend, going into Druids one car ran up the rear wheel of another, one car sat on the roll hoop of the other, no damage to either driver. No roll hoops, and you tell me what you think would have happened to one of those drivers?
Safety isn’t optional or good looking, it is mandatory if you are involved in motor racing.
As for originality, originally these cars killed some drivers, I think that is as good a reason as any to change them a little.
Single seaters, saloons, or any type of race car, if you race it today it must be safe today. If you want to look at a race car then look at it. If you want to race a car then make it safe to be raced. If you want to see old cars race with no roll cages, watch the movies.