Thread: IMSA DPi Discussion
View Single Post
Old 20 Mar 2016, 21:58 (Ref:3625297)   #37
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
No. I mean Spirit of Daytona. They took over the project after it got to the point where they were the only ones running the chassis. Then Gen3 came along and because of Pratt & Miller's assistance in improving the chassis it for some reason became the preferred Corvette DP chassis(only two Corvette DPs didn't use Coyote chassis - and one of them has been rather infamously destroyed).

That said, though, it's TECHNICALLY more of a partnership, but all intents and purposes SoD owns and runs Coyote Cars at this point.
Bob Nelson is the owner of Coyote Cars and Action Express Racing, and Gary Nelson is the CEO of Coyote Cars and team manager for Action Express.

Spirit of Daytona were the only ones running the Coyote for a while, but I'm not sure who was in charge of building the chassis/parts at that point. Was it still Cheever?

It has been said several times that Action Express and Coyote are the same group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
As far I know AXR owner, owns coyote too and SoD just owns one of their chassis since mid '2000 being their corvette DP mounted on their old DP2 tub. Anyway I don't think that P&M assisted coyote or anyone else like riley or dallara... the corvette DP "pack" is just a bodywork that can be fitted on all old DP2 chassis + GM engine.
Being just a bodywork and nothing more, you can watch at example that AXR and WTR, being "outside" the same car; have very different cockpit and tub structure. Corvette DP coyote chassis is the only version right handed
No, there was some mention about P&M helping develop the Coyote, specifically after Spirit of Daytona switched back to Chevy power from the Cayenne V8.

I have no clue when it started or how long it lasted though, but I do remember them talking about it during several broadcasts during 2011 about how there were some P&M guys in the Spirit of Daytona pits, and I remember them showing Mr. Pratt with the team in the pits at least once.