View Single Post
Old 5 Jan 2019, 17:58 (Ref:3874170)   #12
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I'm sure this has been posted before, it is old, but nothing has changed . . .

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...-wise-men.html

There is something in the thinking of nearly all regulatory bodies in the UK that they believe that they have to go over the top when setting their criteria.

The same applies in pilot training, or it certainly used to. The CAA used to insist that to obtain your basic private pilots' licence that you had to demonstrate to an examiner that you were able to bring an aircraft out of a stall that induced a spin.

However, any competent pilot will tell you that the only time that you are likely to suffer a stall with spin is either immediately after take-off or when lining up for landing, and at such times you are unlikely to be much more than 500 to 1000 feet above ground. As such, it would be almost impossible to recover from the spin before impacting the ground.

This is why pretty well every other country around the world stopped making this a part of the flying examination. In fact, when I obtained my PPL in the late 70s, I came to an arrangement with the examiner (with help from my instructor) that he would accept my being able to recover to level flight when the aircraft was at the incipient stage of the stall/spin.