View Single Post
Old 14 Apr 2021, 14:39 (Ref:4045968)   #5468
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
That’s nothing, Jules Goux won the 1913 Indy 500 sipping champagne at his pitstops!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
According to this entry in Wikipedia, Jules Goux reportedly consumed four bottles of champagne while driving in the Indy 500 and was later quoted as saying, "Without the good wine, I would have not been able to win."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Goux
Definitely an interesting anecdote. Jalopnik's take on it:

'The conclusion, based on a variety of opinions, including from some who were there, is that champagne was indeed consumed, but in restricted quantity. The containers were small 'half-bottles', containing just under half a pint each, and it is believed that Goux requested one on four of his stops rather than on all six. While Goux and [riding mechanic Emil] Begin apparently did finish all of the first half-bottle between them, the other three occasions merely consisted of either just a swallow or two, or perhaps mere use of the champagne as a form of mouthwash.'

"Donnes moi une bouteille de vin, our je suis fini"