View Single Post
Old 14 May 2019, 15:32 (Ref:3903741)   #2272
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it does go for sale, then as a whole car it is very limited in its eligibility.
It can obviously run in any hill climb or sprint.
Might be ok for track days, but would doubt the cooling is sufficient, different tyres needed too!

In Porsche circles ( that I roam around in for the last 30 years) the engine is worth about £6k, any air coooled classic engine is valuable.
The flat cooling fan could be another 2k, it is unique, there is not another.

The box is special and can be readily changed over for 911 fitment instead of mid engine. It has a nice lsd and some custom insides and a magnesium case, so about 4K there.
Thus, the car would yield me more broken down to a rolling chassis which could be further standardised to S2000 spec (suspension and brakes are very modified) and new wheels for S2000.

As a whole it might give 25k tops.
Porsche drive train around 13 or 14k
Rolling chassis about 12k, maybe a touch more as the body is good.

It has cost me more, but I've also had 10 years with the build and the de-bugging fun with 6 years or so of good hillclimbing.

To sell would be a heart wrench, but might be sensible...
We shall take stock in October when the season is all done.

If I continue with the sport after all these years, I started in 1991, the car will need to advance.
This could be a big rebuild of the engine to run to 8k rpm which will give about 300 bhp and keep the clunky box, a bill of about 6k.

Or, remove the drive train and fit the drivetrain from a Porsche Boxster, a 3.2 and its box, around 6k but selling the existing set up would cover the costs.

The later is a big job with water cooling etc, the engine build I can diy easily and would be the simplest move, but hard to justify the cost.

Finally, just submit to having fun with the old thing is another option which has been the plan this year, so far so good but a bit dull.