View Single Post
Old 25 Jan 2008, 01:00 (Ref:2113061)   #22
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mountainstar, I have always been for one series. Frankly, we would've been back to one series at the CART bankruptcy hearing except The Amigos got in the way. TG may well have started the split in 1996 but The Amigos made sure it stayed split in 2004.

Hating Tony George is the only reason CC exists now among CC-supporting forum posters. Among The Amigos, KK is a venture capitalist who dipped his wick into a minefield he knew nothing about, Forsythe was trying to make up $30 million in CART stock losses, Gentilozzi was trying to a big shooter in racing and Petit was toddling along after KK. They badly misread the general public by looking at forum posters at F-Troop and thinking they were too numerous and influential for CC not to be successful. TG ain't going to pay for their mistakes, nor should he.

So, you're right, they can go on as long as they want to spend the money. But it really doesn't act like they want to spend as much money any more to make the series what you and many other CC supporters want it to be. Your F list seems to gain members every day and I know I made it a long time ago.

In the last week, a disappointing TV package got announced; Cotman, the race director, quit; Matos told CC to stuff its $2 million Atlantic prize; and Jani came out and said he doesn't know what's going to happen to CC and he's not pursuing it. Before that, they fired Beaux Barfield and hired Johnny Unser as race director for Atlantics.

And if Miller is correct, and they haven't paid their '07 prize money yet, they're using the paltry purses as leverage against teams to jump or else not pay 'em.

Does that make for a good series that everyone seems to want or is hating Tony George more important than anything?