View Single Post
Old 27 Jul 2020, 14:32 (Ref:3991052)   #51
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why?
IIRC, it was to try and 'spice up' Q2. The intention is that some teams might run through Q2 on the optimal tyre to start the race, even if it is the slowest compound available. On the other hand, another team might stick on the fastest tyre to get into Q3, knowing that they are compromising the race strategy in return for track position.

The intended outcome was a mixed up grid, where the fastest teams were in the middle of the pack, whereas slower cars were higher up the grid.

Mercedes are the biggest problem with that plan; when they have the ability to get through Q2 using a set of dog chews as tyres, they are comfortable in putting their preferred compound on in Q2 and still not stressing the tyres too much.