View Single Post
Old 19 Jan 2023, 16:20 (Ref:4140673)   #13
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
True - but with the budget cap is it more likely to be attempted now? Teams can't just throw money at updating their car in season now, so any 'baked in' problems are likely to be there for the season. This makes removing your opponents perceived advantages more beneficial - it takes away the advantage and forces them to spend money on updates to make their car legal (reducing budget for other updates).
I think we will see more of this. I personally think both the FIA and Liberty generally want there to be creative solutions, but "not overly creative". They probably are OK with a team bringing a solution that gives them an advantage for the duration of a season, but they don't want it to be so radical that it would mean other teams would need to refactor large swaths of their current solution. This is because teams generally want to keep working solutions year to year. So evolution vs. revolution is probably the unsaid goal. So for example a 2023 innovation that others teams can generally easily fold into their 2024 car will be OK. But something that is painful to replicate for someone else in 2024 might get banned.

With that being said, team, will probably cry foul on most any new ideas that another team has come up with that just is painful for them to replicate during the season. With "painful" = "costly". If you can get the other guys stuff banned, then it is THEM not YOU who has to spend money in an unexpected/unplanned way.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 19 Jan 2023 at 16:30.