View Single Post
Old 7 Aug 2018, 16:19 (Ref:3842138)   #22
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I've been a sportscar racing fan since the early 1990's and I've never even heard of the "scca runoffs". I'm sure its not a big deal.
Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) National Championships. 26 (?) classes, 600+ cars, each class with their own race over the three day weekend, to decide National Class Champions for each class. Don't dismiss as 'amateur,' as loads of the drivers are very talented and are either trying to work their way up into Professional racing, so they treat racing as their hobby and they maintain normal lives away from the track (I will admit to struggling to come up with a correct phrasing on that..). The corner workers come out of SCCA's programs to train workers to support events around the country, and works to support pro races in each region with their highly trained and accomplished workers--who are not paid and do it for the pleasure of being part of the show, in sun and rain and dust and mud, at their own expense. Petit would be an honor for them to work, but so would the Runoffs, and that the events are the same week and weekend in the same general area may present some challenges with the amount of staff these events require.

Many American pro drivers got their start in SCCA amateur ranks.