View Single Post
Old 2 Mar 2015, 21:24 (Ref:3510918)   #2503
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
What? I dont need to ask drivers to know the crash structures are there to handle the loads, not a firewall behind the engine. Ive been in an accident before in a road car nearly head on and was unharmed. They have crumple zones in front to absorb the energy. These race cars have even better materials and even higher standards. I think you misunderstood me. Hcl seemed like he was saying the firewall was there to prevent the engine intruding the cockpit on a collision. Then my reply was he'd be uninjured from the engine because of other safety features.
Question from my perspective is whether there is a shock absorbing structure between the engine and the front end of the tub ? There is evidently one in front of the gearbox, but what will prevent the engine from penetrating into the tub and possibly hurting the driver's legs ?

It would be interesting to understand if the front crash tests are performed with the full engine assembly in the case of the Nissan GT-R LM.