View Single Post
Old 11 Feb 2021, 12:44 (Ref:4034671)   #10
limjamrace
Rookie

United Kingdom
Loughborough
limjamrace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I`ll have to post a history of MNO considering it has been in my hands for coming up to 56 years..
I do have a Facebook site "Llewellyn Imp Motorsport" which gives some throwback of its history though..
Gave it a serious attention in the early 1990`s before my Father passed away in 1996..
It went into storage after that as lots of things happened in my life ..
Some 10 years ago i gave it another go when i had a barn to work in as Llewellyn Imp Motorsport..
That premises packed up and i moved into a proper business centre unit where i was just content as having the Cortina as an ornament in storage..
Had to sell up that desiable premises due to financial reasons so now in rented housing accommodation as a state pensioner hence now working back to square one working in a driveway.
Due to being under a car cover for its second year the paintwork is now ruined so things are being done arse upwards in way of competition preparation.
As you can imagine i am restricted to some things now like painting it so that will be a problem unless i can find an affordable premises again..

In my lack of funding situation as of now and in the past it sports self made GRP rear wings and the flatter panel of the doors are aluminium skinned.
No show vehicle but due to being a home brew old school CCC reader i get by.
I have started from the rear making my way forwards and eventually will be doing the front suspension and brakes(if Burton Engineering forward my 4 pot calipers ordered last September).

Anyhow back to the safety cage.
I have ended up ordering a OMP bolt in 6 point safety cage from some shop called GSM performance who do like sending a multitude of emails of mainly lots of flannel but hopefully i will get the device in some 10 weeks time..
That is FIA rating should it be necessary for me to use it in that category.
It comes unpainted so i am thinking i can weld additions to it to strengthen the chassis like it would be done by Custom Cages.
So far the cage is £564.20 from GSM ,but i am going to collect from their distribution centre(?) in lancanshire as a £95 delivery charge is unacceptable to me.
Thanks to the contributions on here it was verified that there is no difference to a four door chassis to a two door so i asked Custom Cages for a price to install their "Lotus Cortina" stock weld in item
Again the costing is way above my head ..
I don`t have MIG or TIG facilities to weld T45 steel anyway so the substitute E45 steel is i understand possible to weld with E7018 welding sticks rather than my usual 6013 rods...