View Single Post
Old 18 Aug 2021, 20:25 (Ref:4067591)   #117
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Looking into this a bit further, it seems there is a differing approach between US and European sales.

In Europe, the need to meet fleet-wide CO2 emissions figures is driving down the number of models being offered with V8 engines. These are mainly being restricted to AMG and Maybach models, with limited numbers being produced. This (it is hoped by Daimler's board) will see the 'prestige' of a V8 being part of the Mercedes family and range of options, but not sold in any significant number.

In the US, the removal of most V8s from the range is being cited as 'supply issues'. I have seen a number of observers that think this is a result of reducing capacity in their V8 manufacturing overall as part of the EU requirements, which have had a knock-on effect in the US and elsewhere globally.

IMO - expect to see V8s in the Mercedes family for as long as they can, but increasingly priced out of reach of the majority.
That would make sense as the MB range can likely meet US CAFE rules without any loss in V8s, the seemingly billions of CLA/GLAs I see help that number. Even if they might be the ugliest things MB has sold here, but that's just me.

Now they could probably bring back some of the prestige in the US by NOT being like BMW and slapping AMG on all kinds of cars that aren't AMGs at all. It's like seeing all the baby BMWs with M badging on the side of the car with the smallest engine on offer and no sport tuning, just the wheels and a sticker.